Sunday, November 04, 2007

What a Day for A Daydream...


We drove into the Cascades, traveling along a winding road beside the Skykomish River. Suddenly the yellows and pinks joined chartreuse and mixed with golds and reds. We sighed at the stunning sights before us. Nature is so generous in her gifts!


I have never seen such vivid shades of deep pink among autumn leaves. I love the contrast of the pinks and reds with the lighter greens in this small stand of shrubs and trees.


A mountain stream splashed across the rocks, but the foliage surrounding the creek bed caught our eyes and held them tightly.


Along the path we chose to walk we found more dazzling colors mixed among the evergreens. There has not been a more beautiful fall in the Pacific Northwest since we moved here.


I say that Autumn is my favorite season. But, I know my fickle self. As soon as spring arrives and shows me her colorful bounty, I will be seduced.
Then I will be singing her praises!


A Blade of Grass

Said a blade of grass to an autumn leaf, "You make such a noise falling! You scatter all my winter dreams."

Said the leaf indignant, "Low-born and low-dwelling! Songless, peevish thing! You live not in the upper air and you cannot tell the sound of singing."

Then the autumn leaf lay down upon the earth and slept. And when spring came she waked again -- and she was a blade of grass.

And when it was autumn and her winter sleep was upon her, and above her through all the air the leaves were falling, she muttered to herself, "O these autumn leaves! They make such a noise! They scatter all my winter dreams."

Kahil Gibran

Chapter 29, The Madman



All photography above is courtesy of our private collection and cannot be reproduced or used in any way without our explicit and written consent.

12 comments:

Joared said...

I'm not sure my comment was accepted, so will post again. If this is a duplicate, please delete this.

What colorful photos to accompany "A Blade of Grass." Our perspectives do vary in life, don't they. I, too, claim Autumn as my favorite season though I find the attraction much more pronounced in colder climates than I've known here in the Los Angeles area.

Glad you are posting again, and thanks for your comment at my blog, also letting me know of your return.

sonia a. mascaro said...

Wonderful photos! You captured some beautiful fall colors!

Thanks for your nice comment on my blog!

Endment said...

Oh sky, What a lot of food for thought you have included in this post. Your thoughts about Autumn as a favorite season strike an echo in my own world. Just now I am enchanted with Autumn's presence. I will welcome the first snow and each new snow but then I too will long for spring. Summer however wins the low place for the seasons. I relish and thrive in the cool weather.

WarrenBoroson said...

You're a gifted photographer!

rdl said...

I love Gibran and what wonderful photos! and great to see u back!

daringtowrite said...

Nice work... so good to see the world through your good eye again.

Tabor said...

What a lovely fall you have had. Ours here is somewhat muted due to the drought. Thanks for stopping by and joining the blogworld once again.

tara dawn said...

How deeply it warms my heart to read your words here again and see these beautiful pitures! I do wish we could share the gifts of Nature's seasonal beauties together more often. If we are lucky, perhaps we might find some rare beauty this holiday together...I am keeping my fingers crossed. I love you so much my dear Sky and am counting the days until I hear your magical words in person.
-td

mm said...

Oh, such colours. Thank you Sky. And thank you too for that Gibran poem. I didn't know it and it is beautiful.

I'm fickle too when it comes to the seasons. But I've concluded that there is particular poignancy about autumn that touches a very deep place ...

So very glad you are posting again.

Tammy Brierly said...

SKY! I peaked in and my mouth fell open...YOU'RE POSTING! Woohoo, I love your taste in poetry. I have so much to learn.


XXOO

Kylee Baumle said...

Oh my goodness, what beauty! I so very much want to visit the Pacific Northwest and someday, I will.

Thank you, too, for the Gibran quote. When I was in high school and college, I loved reading his works. It's been many years since I've read him and this makes me want to get them out and read them again.

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

Proof that all colors are found in nature.
The contrasts are perfect compliments of Red/green, Blue,orange and Yellow/violet. Thanks for sharing these fantastic photos.