Monday, June 22, 2009

Healing Elements






Sunshine summons me, and I find myself outside much more lately. The gardens give their splendid gifts of color and texture, saturate me with their emerald glow, give life a new dimension, and bathe me in serenity. It is what I need right now. My husband created these gardens from rocky soil which he had to work by hand, day after day for many months. My Mother's love of gardening is now his gift to enjoy. He creates magic with gloved hand, amended soil, correct light, and Mother Nature's blessings. Self-educated in this art, he has listened carefully along the way, has taught himself well, has paid attention in order to make the right decisions. It shows.

I will be having major surgery in 2 weeks. It is a bit complicated and scary, this 4 hour procedure I must undergo. When I come home from the hospital I will be recovering among these flowers and shrubs, sitting among these towering evergreens. I will be lounging in the sunlight on the courtyard, surrounded by roses and the exotic fragrance of sweet alyssum flowing from pots of red geraniums and white bacopa planted with deep purple petunias and light, airy lobelia, as blue as the sky. I will be looking out onto a landscape of magestic lilies, white and plum and mauve, at perennials cast across a canvas in hues that bleed together like watercolors, listening to the birds call and sing, and watching them splash in their garden baths. Their competitors at the feeder, the fuzzy squirrels, will entertain me hiding peanuts, even from themselves, and chasing neighborhood squirrels away. Windchimes make quiet music in the breezes here and will add more tranquility to these moments. Everything around me is conducive to healing and joy. My husband and his love, our gardens and their beauty, the wildlife and its mysteries, and nature's all consuming, exquisite magic. Just what the doctor will order.

In the coming weeks we will take some photos of the lilies which are just now beginning to open. Until then, please enjoy the photos we have of our May and early June gardens.

Thank you all in advance for your good wishes during my surgery and recovery. I need and appreciate all the support and healing energy sent my way. When I feel up to it I will post an update on Facebook for those of you who are there, and I will try to get some photos of the lilies posted here. Until later, good cheer to us all!




“Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in where nature may heal and cheer and give strength to the body and soul.”

John Muir


Click on each photograph to enlarge for details.
All photography shown is from of our private collection and may not be used
in any manner without our written permission.


16 comments:

Dale said...

Hugs. I'll be thinking of you, Sky.

Tabor said...

We all will hold your close to our hearts as you face this challenge. Your lovely garden will indeed help in the healing.

rdl said...

Sky, I know you will get thru this just fine and as you say you have that beautiful place to recover.
Be well.

kenju said...

I wish you the best of luck with your surgery and the healing process. Your flowers are truly gorgeous. Allium is/are one of my favorites!

♥ N o v a said...

No better healer than Nature itself.

Hugs and love to you, Sky.

leslee said...

Oh dear. Best wishes for the surgery and speedy recovery. Glad you'll have this lovely healing space to come home to.

Barry said...

I wish you well with your surgery. I will be facing something similar in about two months time.

Your garden is gorgeous and looks invitingly healing.

mermaid said...

May your body be a temple of peace in this time of illness. May your garden continue to grow in beauty and touch your spirit. May your husband be there to hold you. May the earth cradle you with each step.

Endment said...

My garden is always a place of refreshing and healing - what a wonderful place you have
Thinking of you daily

sam of the ten thousand things said...

My best wishes for your upcoming surgery and recovery.

The images are wonderful. Thanks for posting them.

mm said...

Dear, dear Sky. My thoughts and prayers are with you and the garden is waiting for you in all its beauty. A place of quiet and healing.

Celia said...

Thinking about you today and wishing you a safe journey through your surgery, then out into the fresh air and home to a speedy recovery among your beautiful flowers.

SG said...

I hope your surgery went off well. The summer is alluring... hopefully you will get to spend a lot of time outdoors :)

Pauline said...

Thinking of you these many weeks later and hoping that you are recovering in the beauty your husband has helped to create.

Brenda Clews said...

Even with the difficulties you are experiencing, you write with such beauty, your words like the garden you so lovingly describe.

By now you've had your surgery. I hope & pray it went well and that you are looking at a speedy and complete recovery.

xo

colleen said...

Thinking of you xo.